Fourteen cases of severe clonidine poisoning occurring in children over a 5-yr period were reviewed. The typical patient was a previously healthy toddler who ingested clonidine while visiting a relative. All patients were lethargic on admission and most were admitted with bradycardia or miosis. Hypotension was more likely to develop after admission. Recovery occurred within 48 h with only symptomatic treatment. Significant morbidity from clonidine ingestion occurred in terms of hospitalization, invasive monitoring, and mechanical ventilation.